Coddenham Country Club is a not for profit community facility owned by its members and run by them for the benefit of Coddenham, surrounding villages and the local district.
The origin of the club is the gesture of Lord de Saumarez of Shrublands Hall, who in 1918 gave the returning heroes, men of Coddenham, one of his billiard tables.
When it was explained that nowhere in the village could accommodate it, he declared that he would provide a building as well.
This is the First World War barrack hut, relocated from war-time service on the Shrublands Estate, that housed the Men's Club, at the rear of the Crown Public House, until 1960, when the brewery closed the Crown.
Huge protest resulted in the brewery admitting it owned neither the billiard table (an historic 3 slate) nor the building it was in; negotiating to sell sufficient outbuildings to facilitate a village club and not opposing a private licence.
A substantial purchase price was demanded, a mortgage raised and the club created through a great deal of voluntary self help.
The Crown became two dwellings.
The club opened in 1962, with a sizeable mortgage, eventually paid off in 1980.
It occupies the attached outbuildings of the former Crown Inn, plus the timber-framed and clad building of the former Working Men's Club.
The first floor might have been thought in the nature of a hayloft or apple store, except that the ground floor room nearest the former pub was plainly living accommodation, with a staircase leading up to the first floor and a large fireplace.
In 1984 the club chairman drew up and gained planning permission for the extension to the original barrack shed, housing the billiard table, to provide an intermediate space for a pool table, available to the club's under age children.
The entire property has listed status, within Suffolk's oldest Conservation Area, declared by the County Council